Topic outline

  • General

    St James  Primary School   
    Our History

     

    From 1917 until 1993, St Joseph's Primary School was the only Catholic school in the Parish of Tweed Heads.  The school was founded by the Ursuline Sisters from Armidale who came to the Tweed in 1917, at the invitation of Bishop Carroll of Lismore. Under their leadership, the Parish school provided education from Kindergarten to Year Nine until 1952 - when the Windham Scheme was introduced and the Secondary students were transferred to Mount St Patrick's High School in Murwillumbah.
     
     That same year (1952) the Ursuline Sisters returned to Armidale after handing over the school to the Presentation Sisters from Lismore. They continued the great apostolic work begun by the Ursulines, for the next thirty four years. In 1987 the Presentation Sisters withdrew from the school also and the first lay Principal of St Joseph's was appointed - Mrs Elaine Ryland. Since its foundation in 1917, St Joseph's grew steadily and was gradually extended over the years to cater for increasing enrolments, until it became a fully two streamed primary school in 1987 -  with almost four hundred pupils on the roll!
     
    As the population in the Tweed continued to increase, so did the demand for  Catholic education.  Under the leadership of Fr James Griffin, Parish Priest of St Joseph's, plans for a second Parish primary school and a secondary school were put into action.  Work on both buildings commenced at Banora Point in 1992.  The following year, the children in Years Five and Six from St Joseph's, Tweed Heads, were transferred to the new school at Banora Point - now officially known as St James!  Reliable sources indicate that the original five Staff members of St James, under the leadership of Paul Bush (Asssistant Principal ) and pupils, enjoyed a very challenging yet relaxing year in their new environment.
     
    The dream of the parishioners of St Joseph's Parish was finally realized in March 1994, with the solemn blessing and opening of Stage One of both schools ( St James and St Joseph's College) by Bishop John Satterthwaite, Bishop of Lismore.
     
    Year Four children from 'in town' joined Years Five and Six at St James in 1994 - bringing the enrolment to 190 pupils. The Principal, Mrs Ryland relocated to St James the same year - Mrs Kelso having been appointed Principal of St Joseph's in town. At the completion of Stage Two in 1995, children from Kindergarten to Year Three joined the family of St James at the commencement of the 1996 school year  - bringing the total enrolment to 320 pupils.  Over a relatively short period of three exciting and challenging years from foundation, St James had now become a fully fledged, thriving Catholic school community (K - 6)- with a vision and a commitment to live “Life to the full...as One Family in Christ”.
     
    On Mrs Ryland's retirement in 1997, Mr Terry Cahill joined the community of St James as Principal in 1998 until 2004. Since 2005, Mrs Vicki Whittaker has led St James into a new era of learning for the 21st Century but has continued the vision of the Founders  - building a community of faith and learning, characterized by Christian values, attitudes and practices, in a welcoming and caring educational environment. 

     
    Since its foundation, St James has gained an enviable reputation in the wider community for participation and achievements in numerous academic, cultural, sporting and civic events.  As a faith filled and growing community, committed to the pursuit of Gospel values and excellence in all we do, we are confident that the 'sapling'  planted in the early 1900s at St Joseph's, Tweed Heads, by the Ursuline Sisters will continue to bloom and grow  ' as one family in Christ'  in the years to come.....